OM Keystone Association

History of the Women’s Keystone Auxilliary

History of the Women’s Keystone Auxiliary

At 4:00pm on September 20, 1921, a group of women met at the home of Mrs. Edison M. Peck to talk over the organization of a Women’s Auxiliary of the Bristol Boys Club. 
 
The Superintendent of the club spoke with positiveness of the needs of such a supplementary group and the following officers were elected: 

  •   President – Mrs. Frederick Scudder
  •  Vice Presidents- Mrs. Edson M.  Peck, Mrs. James Dobson, Miss Ora B. Craig  
  • Treasurer – Mrs. Martin Loughlin 
  • Secretary – Mrs. AC Hitchcock 

The first meeting had 12 members in attendance. Membership dues were $1.00. By 1922, there were 88 members in the Auxiliary. 
 

Over the following decades, the Women’s Auxiliary provided invaluable and necessary support to the Bristol Boys Club. Some examples are as follows: 

  • Preparing and serving supper to the Older Members Association weekly meetings 
  • Purchasing kitchen and other equipment for the Club and for Camp Wangum, garden parties, fashion shows, Christmas tree sales, bus trips to Boston and New York, etc.
  •  Holding a variety of fundraisers and social events to raise money for the Club, including card parties, bake sales, fundraising “teas”, cupcake sales, etc.
  • Continuing to provide support in every way possible, working concessions at Muzzy Field, applying make up to the cast of the OM Show, sponsoring a Girls Night Out at the Imagine Nation Museum, etc.  

 In 1996, the Adelaide Carlson Scholarship was established in honor of a long time and important member of the Auxiliary. The scholarship is awarded annually to the Youth of the Year of the Boys & Girls Club of Bristol. 

 

.